Skip to menu Skip to content Skip to footer

You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

You're a domestic student if you are:

  • a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.

You're an international student if you are:

  • intending to study on a student visa,
  • not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • not an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia.
You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

US Department of Veterans Affairs benefits

If you're eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you can apply to use your benefits to help pay for your study at UQ. 

You may be eligible for benefits if you served in the United States Armed Forces on active duty after September 10, 2001.

How to apply

To apply for benefits:

  1. Confirm your eligibility for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.
  2. Check if your preferred UQ program is an approved program. Email if it's not approved. 
  3. Apply for your program.
  4. Once you're accepted into the program, enrol in your courses. 
  5. Once you've finalised your enrolment, email to request certification. 

After you email us, we will certify your enrolment for the upcoming semester with the VA. We can only do this until after you've enrolled in courses – so you won't be able to use VA funds to pay acceptance deposits. 

You'll need to email the Financial Aid Office each semester to ensure your enrolment is certified.

VA funding is sent directly to UQ and applied to your tuition account. The funds may or may not cover the full tuition amount. If funds don't cover the full amount, you'll be required to pay the difference. If the VA payment is greater than the full tuition amount, you can apply for a refund to have the excess funds sent to your bank account. 

Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information before you apply for a refund. 

Approved programs

The programs listed have already been approved by the VA. This may not be a complete list as programs are continually being approved.

If your program is not listed, email We'll check if your program is eligible.

We can only submit programs for VA approval when a student who's eligible for VA funding has expressed interest in enrolling in that program.

The VA will not fund any programs that are delivered fully online or by correspondence.

Undergraduate programs

  • Bachelor of Arts – majors in Anthropology, Film and Television Studies, International Relations, Peace and Conflict Studies, Philosophy
  • Bachelors of Arts/Laws (Honours)
  • Bachelor of Education (Primary)
  • Bachelor of Education (Secondary)
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
  • Bachelor of Environmental Management (Honours)
  • Bachelor of Environmental Science (Honours)
  • Bachelor of International Studies
  • Bachelor of Nursing
  • Bachelors of Nursing/Midwifery
  • Bachelor of Regional and Town Planning
  • Bachelor of Veterinary Science (Honours)
  • Bachelor of Wildlife Science

Postgraduate programs

  • Graduate Certificate in Engineering Science
  • Doctor of Medicine
  • Master of Business
  • Master of Business Administration
  • Master of Communication
  • Master of Engineering Science
  • Master of Engineering Science (Management)
  • Master of Environmental Management
  • Master of International Relations
  • Master of Laws
  • Master of Public Health
  • Master of Urban and Regional Planning