Queensland Biology Summer School
- Live and breathe biology and related disciplines: explore contemporary topics in biology including ecology, conservation biology, systematics, environmental management, plant science, zoology, and quantitative biology (aligned with subject matter in the QCE and IB Biology syllabuses) through interactive lectures, practicals, and tutorials.
- Gain scientific skills in literacy, communication, collection and analysis of biological data (useful skills for QCE Internal Assessment 2: Student Experiment and IB Extended Essay).
- Study with biologists who are passionate about their subject – from leading researchers to teaching specialists, and current students at the start of their research careers, all eager to share their knowledge and enthusiasm with you.
- Consolidate your learning with quizzes at the end of each day.
- Make friends with students from around the state and discover how much fun it is to be around people who love biology.
- Symbiotic interactions including inter- and intra-specific competition
- Ecosystem services
- Ecological surveying techniques
- Data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Scientific report writing
- Risk management: occupational health and safety science
- QBSS is a non-residential school. It is held at UQ St Lucia from 9am to 4.30pm. The UQ Accommodation website provides options for students and their parents coming from outside the Brisbane region.
- The cost of QBWS is $275 (GST inclusive), including a limited edition QBSS T-shirt and travel costs for an off-campus excursion on Day 2.
Apply for QBSS
Applications are now open. To attend QBSS you must be commencing Year 12 in 2023, and taking QCE Biology or IB Biology.
You will need to complete an online application form and support your application by including a personal statement about why you are interested in attending QBSS, and how this might support your learning beyond high school. This should be signed by you and supported by your biology teacher. Your biology teacher can indicate their support by signing on the personal statement. The registration deadline is 27 November 2022.
Email Dr Gurion Ang at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.