Skip to menu Skip to content Skip to footer

You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

You're a domestic student if you are:

  • a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.

You're an international student if you are:

  • intending to study on a student visa,
  • not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • not an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia.
You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

Research study abroad for PhD candidates

If you're a PhD candidate at a university outside Australia, you can apply to conduct research at UQ through our study abroad program. This provides opportunities for outstanding research students from overseas to undertake part of your research degree with our leading researchers.


To eligible for the program, you must:

  • be currently enrolled as a PhD student and provide official documentary evidence of this enrolment
  • have attained the equivalent of UQ’s confirmation milestone or have completed a minimum of one year study in the PhD program
  • be invited by one of UQ’s enrolling units to submit a research study abroad application
  • have a letter of approval/support from the supervisor at your home institution
  • have agreed upon a period of stay with the enrolling unit at UQ, the UQ advisor, and your home institution
  • meet UQ’s English language proficiency requirements.

Enrolment and progression

  • You will be enrolled as a UQ student for the duration of the program.
  • Your study period should be for at least 1 research quarter and no longer than 4 research quarters. We recommend commencing within the first 2 weeks of the research quarter to maximise the benefit of your enrolment.
  • There will be no extension to the study period.
  • While our candidature milestone requirements are not suitable for short enrolment periods, the advisory team and enrolling unit are obliged to ensure that the intended research project or activities agreed upon can be completed within the period of your stay.
  • You'll be able to obtain an academic transcript at the end of the period but will not be awarded a degree by UQ.
  • You'll participate in the activities as set out in the application for research study abroad.

Scholarships and fees

  • Tuition fees and OSHC will be charged for the duration of your stay. If the duration is longer than 1 research quarter, a tuition fee deposit for 1 research quarter is required when accepting the offer.
  • The enrolling unit shall provide support to you as described in the Research Higher Candidature Charter for the period of enrolment.
  • UQ Graduate School scholarships are not available for research study abroad students.

How to apply

  1. You should contact a researcher/potential supervisor in the first instance to discuss your interest in visiting UQ as a research study abroad candidate.
  2. You may then be invited to apply, and will need to complete an Application for Research Study Abroad form and include all necessary documentation.
  3. Upon approval of the application, our Graduate School will issue an offer letter and package.

We recommend international students read getting prepared to study at UQ information to familiarise yourself with visas, health cover and other key information about living and studying in Australia.

Research study abroad CRICOS course code: 082504G