Skip to menu Skip to content Skip to footer

You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

You're a domestic student if you are:

  • a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.

You're an international student if you are:

  • intending to study on a student visa,
  • not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • not an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia.
You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

Canadian student loans

If you're from Canada, you may be eligible for a student loan while you're studying at UQ.

Types of loans

Federal student loans (Canada Student Loans)

Federal student loans are interest-free, full-time student loans. The Canadian Government will pay the interest on your Canada Student Loan while you are studying full-time.

You must confirm your enrolment status at the end of each Canadian academic year.

You'll need to begin repaying your loan 6 months after you've completed your studies or stopped being a full-time student. Interest on your loan accrues from the time you stop being a full-time student.

National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC)

Provincial loans

In addition to a Canada Student Loan, you may also be eligible for a full-time student loan from the province or territory where you live. Loans vary by province or territory – contact your provincial or territorial student aid office for more information.

Find your provincial or territorial student aid office


To qualify for a loan, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada,
  • reside in a province or territory that issues Canada Student Loans,
  • demonstrate financial need,
  • maintain satisfactory academic standards, and
  • be enrolled in at least 60% of a full-time study load in a degree, diploma or certificate program.

How to apply

You should apply to your local province. A single application covers both provincial and federal funding, but each program may have different requirements.

Apply early for your funding to ensure there is enough time to process your application and apply for a student visa. If you're starting at UQ in January or February, we recommend applying in November or December of the previous year.

The process for applying depends on where you're from. Refer to your provincial or territorial guidelines for specific information.

When you're ready to apply:

  1. Find your provincial or territorial student aid office to apply online or request a hard-copy loan application.
  2. Complete and sign all necessary documents and forward them to your provincial/territorial student aid office for assessment. Your application will be automatically assessed for a Canada Student Loan and a provincial student loan – except for Quebec, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, who operate their own financial assistance programs.
  3. Once your application has been assessed, you'll be advised if you're eligible to receive a loan and the amount you may borrow. Refer to your provincial/territorial student aid office for processing times.
  4. If you qualify, you'll receive a Certificate of Eligibility from your provincial/territorial student financial assistance office.

Providing information to UQ

Your provincial/territorial office will provide you with a form certifying your enrolment. Email this form to

If you’re unable to email, you can send or drop off a hard copy form to:

International Admissions Office
Level 2, JD Story Building (Building 61)
University of Queensland
St Lucia QLD 4072

A UQ Financial Aid Officer will complete the form and forward it to your provincial/territorial financial aid office. We’ll also send a copy to your student email address.

Depending on your province or territory, there may be different timeframes when we can complete your form. Check the timeframe with your provincial/territorial office, and make sure you allow enough time for your forms to be processed.

You'll receive funds by cheque or electronic transfer. If you experience any delays or issues with processing your payment, contact your provincial/territorial student aid office.

Canadian Revenue Agency forms

If you're claiming educational expenses for Canadian tax purposes, the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) will request that you submit the 'TL11A Tax' form signed by UQ.

We'll complete this form for you by the end of February each year, and email a copy to your UQ student email address.

If you don't receive a form, or need a copy at any other time of year, contact the UQ Financial Aid Office.