Skip to menu Skip to content Skip to footer

You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

You're a domestic student if you are:

  • a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.

You're an international student if you are:

  • intending to study on a student visa,
  • not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • not an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia.
You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

Overseas Student Health Cover

All international students studying on a student visa must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

OSHC is insurance that helps cover the cost of medical care you may need in Australia. It covers basic medical and hospital care, and provides limited cover for pharmaceuticals and ambulance services.

You and any dependants who come to Australia with you must be covered by OHSC the entire time you're in Australia. You will need to provide your OSHC policy number when you apply for a student visa.

OSHC won't cover all your medical expenses in Australia. Check your policy for full details of what is and isn't covered. You will need to pay any expenses that aren't covered. You will also need additional travel insurance to be covered while you're travelling to and from Australia.

If you're from a country that has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia, you may also be able to apply for Medicare, which may cover some additional medical expenses. You may still need to have OSHC.

Students from Belgium, Norway or Sweden

You don't need to take out OSHC to meet your visa requirements if you are a:

  • Belgian student
  • Norwegian student
  • Swedish student with insurance provided by CSN International (the Swedish National Board of Student Aid) or Kammarkollegiet (the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administration Agency).

How to arrange Overseas Student Health Cover

When you apply to UQ, select whether you want to:

  • arrange your OSHC through UQ using our preferred provider, or
  • obtain OSHC through another government-approved provider.

Arrange OSHC through UQ

If you arrange your OSHC through UQ, we will organise cover with our preferred provider, Allianz Care Australia.

When you accept your offer to study at UQ, you'll need to pay an OSHC fee. You'll then receive your policy number and details in your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

Allianz Care Australia's OSHC provides additional benefits above the minimum required by the Australian Government. This cover includes:

  • 24-hour emergency assistance and medical advice
  • partial cover for medical services provided by doctors (GP services)
  • partial cover for diagnostic services such as pathology and radiology
  • some prescription medicines
  • emergency ambulance services
  • an app to manage your personal details, submit a claim, locate doctors or translate medical terms.

Full policy details for Allianz Care Australia OHSC

After you arrive in Brisbane and have a local address, you can apply for your OSHC card through the Allianz Care Australia website.

Arrange OSHC through another provider

If you don't want to use Allianz Care Australia, you can organise your OSHC through any other government-approved provider.

If you do choose to arrange your own OSHC, make sure to compare what other providers offer – for example, some do not offer cover for pre-existing conditions.

Visit the provider websites to find out more about the cover they offer.

Find approved OSHC providers

If you use one of these providers, you must contact them directly to organise and pay for your cover. You can't pay through UQ.

When you accept your UQ offer, you'll need to provide evidence of your OSHC to us before we can send you a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

On campus services

Learn about our health and safety services on campus.