Skip to menu Skip to content Skip to footer

You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

You're a domestic student if you are:

  • a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.

You're an international student if you are:

  • intending to study on a student visa,
  • not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand,
  • not an Australian permanent resident, or
  • a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia.
You're viewing this site as a domestic an international student

Student visas

All international students must have a valid visa to study in Australia.

Most international students who are accepted to study full-time at UQ will need to apply for a Student visa (subclass 500).

You may be able to study at UQ if you have another type of visa – you need to make sure you have the right visa for your situation.

Australian visa types

When to apply for a student visa

Apply for a visa as soon as you receive your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from UQ.

It can take a long time for visa applications to be processed by the Department of Home Affairs, so make sure you apply as soon as possible. It's your responsibility to make sure you receive your visa in time to travel to Australia and start your program. 

How to apply for a student visa

Australian visas are issued by the Department of Home Affairs.

To apply for a visa you can:

To help prepare your application: 

Make sure you have sufficient Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

If you're under 18 and not staying with a parent or guardian, you'll also need to register for the International Student Supervision Program.

From 23 March 2024, the Genuine Student (GS) requirement replaces the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement for Student visas.

What you need from UQ:

  • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy number and details – if you arranged your health cover through UQ, your OSHC Certificate of Insurance will be sent to you directly by UQ’s OSHC provider, Allianz Care Australia. You will receive the Certificate of Insurance via email approximately 3 business days after you receive your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).
  • Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) – if you have registered for our International Student Supervision Program for students aged under 18.

HDR students

If you are an HDR student on a scholarship, you may also need to provide: 

  • the funding source for your scholarship – whether it is funded by the Commonwealth Government of Australia or another source
  • a contact person for your scholarship provider.

If you have a UQ scholarship: 

Check your scholarship offer letter for this information:

  • funding source: labelled as 'Name'. If it doesn't say 'Commonwealth Government of Australia', your scholarship is funded through another source
  • contact person: the person who signed your scholarship offer letter.

Complying with visa conditions 

If you are granted a student visa you must also comply with all visa conditions. These may include:

  • maintaining enrolment in a CRICOS-registered program
  • maintaining satisfactory course progress and attendance
  • holding approved Overseas Student Health Cover while you're in Australia
  • telling UQ immediately if you change your Australian address or contact details.

See full student visa requirements and conditions

UN sanction countries

If you're from a country where the Australian Government has put restrictions (sanctions) on financial transactions, we have to ensure any restrictions aren't breached through the financial arrangements of your study.

Further information is available through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Further visa information

For more information about visas, contact the: