Deepen your understanding of the social issues and impact mineral exploration activities can have on a community.
Mineral exploration is raising new challenges and expectations daily, and ‘first boots on the ground’ exploration teams are uniquely placed to answer the demands.
You’ll learn from various exploration and community relations experts via video and audio clips, interactive exercises and online discussion forums.
This course will give you the insights, tools and skills for enhancing community relationships at the first stages of a project. It will help you to build a knowledge base critical to future development.
Who should attend
This course is suitable for practitioners involved in mineral exploration:
- Community relations workers
- Early-stage regulators
There are no prerequisites for this course.
What you'll learn
- Develop a social database to build a community profile and social knowledge base.
- Grasp critical steps and considerations in stakeholder mapping.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the skills and principles of dialogue.
- Identify potential impacts on and opportunities for communities associated with exploration projects.
- Align data, community feedback and impacts and describe their interaction and suitable systems for exploration teams to record and respond to these.
- Analyse and assess whether options for strategic investment are appropriate to various phases of exploration.
This is an online course that will require roughly 25 hours to complete.
- 3-4 hours of online content and study per week
- A 90-minute webinar each week
- Over 5 weeks.
- Global trends and the implications for mining and exploration.
- Key concepts and terms.
- What you need to know and why.
- Reading the landscape.
- Organising social data: a framework.
- Engagement approaches.
- Stakeholder identification.
- Dialogue: methods and skills.
- Social risks, opportunities and impacts.
- Contributing to community development and well-being.
There will be four assignments to apply the learning of this course.
Certification and accreditation
Students who successfully complete the course will receive a Certificate of Completion to verify their skills and achievements.
|Individual domestic ex. GST||A$2,000|
|Individual international (GST not payable)||A$2,000|
|Student domestic ex. GST||A$1,000|
|Student international (GST not payable)||A$1,000|
Please see the Terms and Conditions (PDF, 123.12 KB).
Visit the Sustainable Minerals Institute website.
GST is excluded from the costPayment options
We accept credit cards (Visa/MasterCard) for payment, including corporate credit cards. If you do not have access to a card, please contact our team at email@example.com to discuss your options.