Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act
The Australian Government has written legislation to ensure international students receive a high quality education.
This legislation is called the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act.
All institutions offering education services to international students in Australia must follow the ESOS Act.
Institutions must also be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
Registered institutions are given a CRICOS number. The CRICOS number for UQ is 00025B.
International students on a student visa must study in CRICOS-registered institutions and programs.
International students in Australia have rights while they study. Under the ESOS framework, you have the right to:
- receive current, accurate information about programs, fees, study options and other information relevant to you
- sign a written agreement with your institution that outlines the services provided and fees payable, and includes information about refunds
- receive a refund or be placed in another program if your provider is unable to deliver the course.
You also have the right to be informed about:
- orientation and access to support services to help you adjust to life in Australia
- applying for course credit
- deferring, suspending or cancelling your enrolment
- your provider’s requirements for satisfactory progress in the courses you study
- academic support in case you are not progressing as expected
- your provider's complaints and appeals process
- your provider's attendance policies.
You also have responsibilities while you study in Australia. As an international student, you must:
- satisfy the conditions of your student visa
- maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your stay
- meet the terms of your written agreement with your education provider
- inform your provider if you change your address
- maintain satisfactory course progress
- follow your provider’s attendance policy if attendance is recorded for your course
- if you are under 18, maintain your approved accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements.
If you have questions about your ESOS rights and responsibilities:
- contact the ESOS helpline on +61 2 6240 5069
- submit an online ESOS enquiry.
For questions about UQ policies and procedures that affect you, contact a UQ Student Centre.