All students need appropriate English language skills for admission to UQ. The level of English required depends on the program you're applying for.
To be eligible for entry to most UQ programs, you need to meet our minimum English language requirements (overall IELTS of 6.5 and 6.0 in all sub-bands or equivalent).
For some programs, you must meet higher than usual English requirements.
To identify which requirements you need to meet, check the program page. All English language requirements are governed by our English Language Proficiency Admission Policy and Procedures.
Meeting the minimum requirements
You can demonstrate you meet English requirements by providing evidence of test results, study or work experience.
English language tests
You can demonstrate your English language skills by achieving at least:
English language study or work experience
You can also meet our English language proficiency requirements if you can demonstrate one of the following:
- Completed senior secondary schooling from a designated country (PDF, 109 KB) where the medium of instruction is English
- Obtained a recognised qualification, score or test (and satisfied relevant conditions) listed in either equivalent tests and qualifications (PDF, 109 KB) or interstate subject equivalents
- Successfully completed a bachelor's or master’s degree from an accredited university or institution recognised by UQ for this purpose
- Successfully undertaken at least 1 year of full-time (or part-time equivalent) post-secondary study in a designated country (PDF, 109 KB) from an accredited university or institution recognised by UQ for this purpose
- Successfully undertaken at least 2 years of full-time (or part-time equivalent) post-secondary study from an accredited university or institution recognised by UQ for this purpose (you need to have undertaken your final year of studies during the 5 years immediately before your commencement at UQ), or
- Acceptable evidence of sufficient English language skills developed through paid or voluntary work experience in a primarily English-speaking professional environment for at least 3 years immediately before the start of your UQ studies.
UQ only recognises accredited universities or institutions for English language proficiency purposes where English is the medium of instruction and assessment.
Meeting the higher requirements
To understand the requirements and acceptable evidence for programs with higher-level English requirements, check the program page or program-specific requirements (PDF, 122.8 KB).
You can use IELTS test results to demonstrate your English proficiency for all programs. Depending on the program you may also be able to demonstrate your English language skills by:
When you apply to UQ, include certified copies of academic transcripts and award certificates to help to demonstrate your English language proficiency.
To be valid, English language tests must have been taken within 2 years of commencing study at UQ. We verify all test results with the relevant test authority.
Attach a copy of the IELTS test result to your application.
TOEFL iBT (including Paper Edition)
You must arrange for UQ to receive an original copy of your official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report. Ask the Educational Testing Service to send the Official Score Report directly to The University of Queensland (Institutional code: 0987).
UQ does not accept institutional TOEFL test results.
As of 15 September 2023, TOEFL iBT Home Edition is no longer recognised by UQ.
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
Send a copy of your results through your online PTE Academic account. To send your results to UQ:
- Log in to your PTE Academic account.
- Click 'Send Scores' and enter 'UQ'.
- Click 'Send'.
As of 15 September 2023, PTE Academic Online is no longer recognised by UQ.