English language requirements
All students need appropriate English language skills for admission to UQ. The level of English required depends on the program you're applying for.
To be eligible for entry to most UQ programs, you need to meet our minimum English language requirements (overall IELTS of 6.5 and 6.0 in all sub-bands or equivalent).
For some programs, you must meet higher than usual English requirements.
To identify which requirements you need to meet, check the program page. All English language requirements are governed by our English Language Proficiency Admission Policy and Procedures.
Meeting the minimum requirements
You can demonstrate you meet English requirements by providing evidence of test results, study or work experience.
English language tests
You can demonstrate your English language skills by achieving at least:
- a 6.5 overall and a minimum of 6.0 in each sub-band of the IELTS test, or
- acceptable scores in equivalent tests (PDF, 79.2 KB).
English language study or work experience
You can also meet our English language proficiency requirements if you can demonstrate one of the following:
- Completed senior secondary schooling from a designated country (PDF, 109 KB) where the medium of instruction is English
- Obtained a recognised qualification, score or test (and satisfied relevant conditions) listed in either equivalent tests and qualifications (PDF, 109 KB) or interstate subject equivalents
- Successfully completed a bachelor's or master’s degree from an accredited university or institution recognised by UQ for this purpose
- Successfully undertaken at least 1 year of full-time (or part-time equivalent) post-secondary study in a designated country (PDF, 109 KB) from an accredited university or institution recognised by UQ for this purpose
- Successfully undertaken at least 2 years of full-time (or part-time equivalent) post-secondary study from an accredited university or institution recognised by UQ for this purpose (you need to have undertaken your final year of studies during the 5 years immediately before your commencement at UQ), or
- Acceptable evidence of sufficient English language skills developed through paid or voluntary work experience in a primarily English-speaking professional environment for at least 3 years immediately before the start of your UQ studies.
UQ only recognises accredited universities or institutions for English language proficiency purposes where English is the medium of instruction and assessment.
Meeting the higher requirements
To understand the requirements and acceptable evidence for programs with higher-level English requirements, check the program page or program-specific requirements (PDF, 122.8 KB).
You can use IELTS test results to demonstrate your English proficiency for all programs. Depending on the program you may also be able to demonstrate your English language skills by:
- achieving acceptable scores in equivalent tests (PDF, 79.2 KB), or
- completing a recognised qualification, score or test (and satisfying relevant conditions) for your specific program.
Need help meeting the English language requirements?
UQ College offers English language courses that can help you meet UQ's English language requirements.
English language courses at UQ College
If you meet all the academic entry requirements for your preferred UQ program, but need help to meet the English language requirements, you may be eligible for a package offer.
A package offer includes:
- an English language course at UQ College, and
- a conditional offer of admission to a UQ program.
When you apply for your UQ program, indicate that you want to apply for a package offer. Don't apply directly to UQ College.
You still need to provide evidence of your current English language ability (e.g. IELTS or another recognised test). We will assess your skills and place you in the best English course for your level.
Depending on your current English level you will be offered a place in one of the following English language pathways:
- Bridging English (BE) – study for between 10 and 30 weeks. You can use the final assessment to satisfy the English language entry requirements for your UQ program.
- Pathway English (PE) – study for between 5 and 45 weeks. Take an approved English language test at the end of the course to show you meet UQ's English language entry requirements.
When you apply to UQ, include certified copies of academic transcripts and award certificates to help to demonstrate your English language proficiency.
To be valid, English language tests must have been taken within 2 years of commencing study at UQ. We verify all test results with the relevant test authority.
Attach a copy of the IELTS test result to your application.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
If you have taken an internet-based test, you must attach a copy of the TOEFL test result to your application.
For computer-based and paper-based TOEFL tests, you must arrange for UQ to receive an original copy of your official TOEFL score report. Ask the Educational Testing Service to send the Official Score Report directly to The University of Queensland (Institutional code: 0987).
UQ does not accept institutional TOEFL test results.
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
Send a copy of your results through your online PTE Academic account. To send your results to UQ:
- Log in to your PTE Academic account.
- Click 'Send Scores' and enter 'UQ'.
- Click 'Send'.
UQ's English language requirements are separate to any English language requirements for an Australia visa.
You may be required to meet different standards or submit different evidence of English proficiency for a visa application. Make sure you follow all instructions carefully when you apply for a visa.