Queensland Biology Winter School – Year 12
The course will coincide with when most Year 12s complete their Unit 4 (genetics), but we will include, where possible, reference to and revision of Unit 3 (ecology).
- Live and breathe biology and related disciplines when you explore contemporary topics in biology (aligned with the subject matter in the QCE and IB Biology syllabuses) through interactive lectures, practicals, and tutorials.
- Gain scientific skills in literacy, communication, and analysis of biological data (useful skills for QCE Internal Assessment 3: Research Investigation and IB Extended Essay).
- Study with biologists passionate about their subject – from leading researchers to teaching specialists and current students at the start of their research careers, all eager to share their knowledge and enthusiasm with you.
- Consolidate your learning with quizzes at the end of both days.
- Make friends with students from around the state and discover how much fun it is to be around people who love biology.
What you'll learn
- Introductory genetics, including bacterial transformation and gene regulation
- Animal behaviour and co-evolution
- Biochemistry and molecular biology
- Pollination ecology and bioinformatics
- Phylogenetics and evolutionary biology.
- $165 (GST inclusive), including a limited edition QBWS T-shirt.
- This non-residential school is held at UQ St Lucia from 8am to 5.30pm over 2 days. The UQ Accommodation website provides options for students and their parents coming from outside the Brisbane region
You must be in Year 12. If you are in Year 11, please apply for the UQ Year 11 Queensland Biology Winter School.
Applications are open and close on Friday 3 May 2024. Interstate and international applicants are welcome. There are limited places available.
When you complete the online application form, you must answer some questions about your motivation for applying.
Offers will be made by Monday 6 May 2024 and must be accepted by Thursday 6 June 2024.
For more information, email Dr Gurion Ang at email@example.com.