Master of Nursing Studies
- Join the school ranked first in Queensland, fourth in Australia and 21st in the world for nursing.
- Prepare for a career with in-demand skills, ready for an industry experiencing high jobs growth.
- Undertake more than 880 hours of clinical practice in both supervised placements and clinical laboratories.
How you'll learn
Your learning experiences are designed to best suit the learning outcomes of the courses you choose.
- Work placements
- Online study
- Research experience
Placements and work experience
Students will undertake approximately 880 hours of supervised clinical practice in a range of clinical settings that includes hospitals and a variety of health care organisations. During their placements, students will have the opportunity to apply their theoretical knowledge acquired through coursework to practice and develop their clinical skills in real life setting. Students will commence their clinical placements in week four of the program. During the first year students will normally complete approximately 40 x 8-hour shifts and in the final year students will complete approximately 70 x 8-hour shifts. Students may be required to undertake clinical placements outside of the Brisbane metropolitan area and students are required to fund their travel, accommodation and daily living expenses. Prior to applying, applicants should ensure they will be able to meet placement requirements.
What you'll study
At UQ, degrees are called 'programs' and subjects are called 'courses'. Here's a sample of the courses you could study in this program:
- Early lifespan nursing
- Musculoskeletal health and injury prevention
- Cardiovascular and respiratory nursing
- Neuroendocrine and MH nursing
Postgraduate study can take you anywhere. Here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Registered nurse
- Critical care nurse
- Paediatric nurse
- Perioperative nurse
- Remote area nurse
- Emergency care nurse
- Registered nurse (aged care)
- Oncology nurse
- Rehabilitation nurse
- Community nurse
When you graduate, you may be eligible for memberships with the following professional organisations. Contact the organisation to find out how to become a member.
- Australian College of Nursing
When you graduate, you may be eligible for registration with the following professional organisations. Contact the organisation to find out how to register.
- Nursing And Midwifery Board Of Australia. Please See The Nmba Website For Additional Mandatory Registration Requirements.
The Master of Nursing Studies is accredited by:
- Australian Nursing And Midwifery Accreditation Council
To be eligible for entry, you'll need:
English language requirements
IELTS overall 7; reading 7; writing 7; speaking 7; listening 7. For other English Language Proficiency Tests and Scores approved for UQ
TOEFL iBT (including Paper Edition) - Overall 100, listening 25, reading 25, writing 27, speaking 23.
PTE Academic - Overall 72, sub bands minimum 72.
Bridging English (BE) results, CES, and BEP not accepted.
There are other ways to meet the English language requirements. For some programs, additional conditions apply.
To complete this degree, you have to meet its inherent requirements by demonstrating essential skills and attributes. Read the inherent requirements before you apply.
International students who are accepted into full-time study in the Master of Nursing Studies are eligible to apply for an Australian student visa (subclass 500).
There are a number of requirements you must satisfy before a visa is granted, including the genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement.
Need help meeting the entry requirements?
We can help you meet the academic or English language requirements for your preferred program.
If you haven’t completed the prerequisites, we can help.
Additional application information
Additional application information
Fees and Scholarships
Indicative annual fee
- Annual CPR re-certification (approximately $80 per year)
- First Aid Certificate (including CPR) (approximately $130 renewed every 3 years)
- Police check for criminal history ($45)
- A clinical uniform shirt is required and may be purchased through the School.
- Costs for vaccinations and serology are the responsibility of the student and will vary based on individual and program requirements.
Domestic places in the Master of Nursing Studies are Commonwealth Supported. This means the cost of your education is shared between you and the Australian Government.
Instead of tuition fees, Commonwealth Supported students pay what are called student contribution amounts.
HECS-HELP is an Australian Government loan scheme to assist eligible students with the cost of their student contribution amounts.
The Australian Government has approved this master's program for income support payments to be made to eligible students.
You may be eligible for more than 100 scholarships, including:
How to apply
The closing date for this program is:
- To commence study in semester 1 - November 30 of the previous year.
To learn more about UQ dates, including semester start dates, view the Academic Calendar.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants
For support with applying - or if you have any questions about Uni - get in touch with our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit.