Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) and Master of Engineering
- Learn from world-class teachers with more national teaching awards than any other Australian university.
- Graduate fully prepared for the workforce with a specialised undergraduate and postgraduate degree.
- Gain practical experience by undertaking a full-time industry placement, or completing a research project with a university or research institution in Australia or overseas.
- Acquire the engineering qualifications that set you apart in the job market, prove your leadership material and provide a pathway to future research or learning.
Tailor your studies to suit your goals. This program offers these options:
- Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering
- Chemical and Environmental Engineering
- Chemical and Materials Engineering
How you'll learn
Due to the way they are taught, certain programs and plans are not offered online in Semester 1, 2023.
Your learning experiences are designed to best suit the learning outcomes of the courses you choose.
- Work placements
- Overseas study
- Research experience
Placements and work experience
What you'll study
At UQ, degrees are called 'programs' and subjects are called 'courses'. Here's a sample of the courses you could study in this program:
- Engineering Modelling and Problem Solving
- Engineering Thermodynamics
- Principles of Biological Engineering
- Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics
Our programs prepare you for your first job and beyond. Depending on which major you choose, here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Chemical engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Process engineer
- Wastewater treatment engineer
- Senior plant metallurgist
- Civil engineer
- Building compliance auditor
- Protection and automation engineer
- Software engineer
- Aircraft maintenance engineer
Next steps after graduation
87.9% of our engineering graduates found employment (2019 Graduate Outcomes Survey)
When you graduate, you may be eligible for memberships with the following professional organisations. Contact the organisation to find out how to become a member.
- Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
- Engineers Australia
- Institution of Chemical Engineers
The Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) and Master of Engineering is accredited by:
- Engineers Australia
Studying Specialist Mathematics (Units 3 & 4, C) and both Chemistry and Physics is recommended as students will have increased flexibility in their studies.
Entry score threshold
|ATAR / Rank||IB|
These are the lowest adjusted scores we made an offer to in Semester 1, 2022. Entry scores are based on the most recent Semester 1 intake and are updated in April each year. Meeting the entry score threshold doesn't guarantee admission.
Guarantee your place at UQ: If you meet our guaranteed minimum ATAR (PDF, 185 KB) you could secure an offer for your preferred program.
English language requirements
IELTS overall 6.5; reading 6; writing 6; speaking 6; listening 6. For other English Language Proficiency Tests and Scores approved for UQ
TOEFL IBT - Overall 87, listening 19, reading 19, writing 21 and speaking 19.
TOEFL PB - Overall 570, listening 54, reading 54, writing 59/5.
Pearsons - Overall Score of 64 and 60 in all sub bands.
BE - A minimum overall grade of 4 plus a minimum grade of C in all macro skills.
CES - Overall 176 and 169 in all sub bands.
OET is not accepted.
There are other ways to meet the English language requirements. For some programs, additional conditions apply.
International students who are accepted into full-time study in the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) and Master of Engineering are eligible to apply for an Australian student visa (subclass 500).
There are a number of requirements you must satisfy before a visa is granted, including the genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement.
Entry score range
This table shows the range of entry scores for recent secondary students offered a place in the B Engineering (Hons)/M Eng for Semester 1, 2022
|Without adjustments||With adjustments|
Who you'll study with
Here's a snapshot of our student intake for this program in Semester 1, 2022:
|Applicant background||Number of students||Percentage of all students|
(A) Higher education study
(B) Vocational Education and Training (VET) study
(C) Work and life experience
|(D) Recent secondary education|
"<5" — The number of students is less than 5.
N/A — Students not accepted in this category.
N/P — Not published. The number is hidden to protect the privacy of students in other cells.
Need help meeting the entry requirements?
We can help you meet the minimum entry score, subject prerequisites or English language requirements for your preferred program.
If you haven't studied the prerequisites or need to improve your entry score, we can help.
Additional application information
Fees and Scholarships
Indicative annual fee
Domestic places in the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) and Master of Engineering are Commonwealth Supported. This means the cost of your education is shared between you and the Australian Government.
Instead of tuition fees, Commonwealth Supported students pay what are called student contribution amounts.
HECS-HELP is an Australian Government loan scheme to assist eligible students with the cost of their student contribution amounts.
The Australian Government offers a number of income-support payments to eligible Australian university students.
Make your university experience more affordable with a scholarship. Opportunities include:
How to apply
If you’re studying Year 12 in Australia, go to the QTAC website to check the closing date for this program.
If you’re applying to UQ, the closing date for this program is:
- Direct Entry Applicants: Applications must be lodged via the Online Application Form by May 31 of the year of commencement to commence in semester 2; and by 30 November of the previous year to commence in semester 1. Internal Applicants: Apply via the Program Change Request on my Si-net, by the Friday before Orientation Week each Semester.
To learn more about UQ dates, including semester start dates, view the Academic Calendar.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants
For support with applying - or if you have any questions about Uni - get in touch with our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies Unit.