Doctor of Medicine prerequisites and recommended programs for entry
If you're applying for the Doctor of Medicine (MD), you'll need to complete relevant prerequisite courses to enter the program.
Some UQ bachelor's degrees offer these courses – but there are other ways to meet the requirements if you haven’t studied these programs or courses at UQ.
All applicants, including domestic and international students, need to successfully complete the following prerequisite courses (or equivalent) to progress into UQ's MD program:
There may be equivalent courses or programs offered at UQ and other institutions that meet the MD subject prerequisite requirements. Download the relevant PDF to see if your course meets the requirements.
Throughout your undergraduate degree, we recommend you study a course in:
While it isn’t required, knowledge in these fields will provide a solid foundation for you to build on while you study the MD.
Recommended bachelor degrees
If you intend to apply for the provisional entry pathway, there are several recommended programs to prepare you for the MD. All of the programs listed include the required prerequisite courses, or allow you to complete the prerequisites as electives.
The recommended programs have been organised into 3 different categories. You can choose from these based on your interests.
Programs with a professional health registration
These programs include the prerequisites you'll need for the MD:
- Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelors of Nursing/Midwifery
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology (Honours).
Programs specialising in health and science
These programs include the prerequisites you'll need for the MD or allow you to choose prerequisites or equivalent courses as electives:
- Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- Bachelor of Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Clinical Exercise Physiology (Honours)
- Bachelor of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (various majors).
Programs that allow you to explore wider interests
These programs allow you to choose prerequisites or equivalent courses as electives:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychological Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Social Science.
If you have questions about completing these prerequisites or need advice on which program to choose, get in touch with the Future Students Contact Centre.